Annual Meeting Home Past & Future Meetings

Back to Annual Meeting Program

Complete Versus Partial Small Bowel Obstruction: an Obsolete Classification?
*Ali Y Mejaddam, *Carolina V Solis, *Ayesha M Imam, *Yuchiao Chang, Hasan B Alam, *David R King, *Peter J Fagenholz, *Marc A de Moya
Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA

OBJECTIVE: The management of complete adhesive small bowel obstruction (C-SBO) has traditionally been supported by the old adage “never let the sun rise or set on a complete SBO”. There may be a trend towards more aggressive non-operative management given the increased use of computed tomography (CT) or simply changes in practice patterns. We conducted a study to evaluate differences in predictors and outcomes of C-SBO versus partial SBO (P-SBO).
DESIGN: Retrospective cohort study.
SETTING: Academic tertiary medical center.
PATIENTS: Patients admitted with adhesive SBO (2008-2011).
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Need for operative lysis of adhesions.
RESULTS: There were 152 patients with adhesive SBO during the study period (62±19 years old, 51% male). 27 (18%) patients had C-SBO and the remaining 125 (82%) were identified as P-SBO. On univariate analysis, none of the study variables were associated with C-SBO except for increased admission to the intensive care unit (p=0.029). The need for surgery was not significantly different between both groups (48% C-SBO vs. 32% P-SBO; p=0.11). Significant predictors of the need for surgery on multivariable analysis were rebound tenderness to palpation (p<0.0001) and high-grade partial obstruction on CT (p=0.0003).
CONCLUSIONS: C-SBO was not associated with an increased need for surgery or worse outcomes compared to P-SBO. High-grade obstruction on CT or signs of peritonitis are associated with the need for operation. The classification of SBO as complete or partial is unnecessary.

Back to Annual Meeting Program


Abstract Submission Deadline:
May 5, 2014

Housing Deadline:
August 13, 2014

Early Bird Registration Deadline:
August 11, 2014
© 2019 New England Surgical Society. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy.